Kale and quinoa are independently soaring to the top of everyone’s healthy food lists these days. Kale is quickly becoming the queen of greens. It’s high in fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins A, C, and K. Quinoa (pronounced keenwa) is a healthy grain originating in the Andes region of South American and is also high in antioxidants and an excellent source of protein. So, what could be better for you than a dish that combines both? Here’s a California Chef recipe for a kale and quinoa combo that can be eaten hot or cold as a lunch or side dish.
- Wisk together 1½ cups of vegetable broth, ½ cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, and ½ cup extra virgin olive oil and set aside.
- Cut 4 cups of raw kale into thin strips and put in a bowl.
- Coat kale well with ½ of the lemon juice and olive oil mixture and let sit for ½ hr.
- After the kale has finished its time-out, add 2½ cups cooked quinoa, ¼ cup dried cranberries, ½ cup grated carrot, 2 tablespoons sliced roasted almonds, and 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped mint.
- Add remaining lemon juice and olive oil mixture and toss all together.
For a slightly heartier version, just add some shredded cooked chicken or feta cheese. Enjoy!