We’ve all heard the term: superfood. But what exactly does it mean? While there is no specific criteria for what determines a superfood, the term can best be described as foods that are nutritionally dense, or packed with nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. Most fruits and vegetables that we eat are nutrient packed, but did you know that some proteins and carbs are as well? Here is a list of some of the most beneficial superfoods for your health and body.
- Leafy Greens – spinach, kale, collard greens, and swiss chard are all examples of leafy green vegetables that are nutrient packed. These greens are full of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and calcium to support healthy body function.
- How to eat them – salads, sautés, soups, and stews
- Olive Oil – it’s a great source of Vitamin E, polyphenols (micronutrients filled with antioxidants), and monosaturated fatty acids. All of these come together to reduce the risk of heart disease. There is a reason that Spain and Italy were ranked the two healthiest countries in the world last year!
- How to eat it – olive oil can easily be incorporated into just about any dish. Use it in place of butter, make a salad dressing from it, or drizzle over vegetables or proteins of any kind.
- Yogurt – a great source of calcium and protein, yogurt also has natural live cultures, or probiotics, which aid with digestion.
- How to eat it – with your favorite toppings like fruit or nuts, incorporated into a dipping sauce, or as the base of a smoothie.
- Fish – fish has omega-3 fatty acids which is crucial for healthy heart function. It’s also a great source of protein.
- How to eat it – fresh, frozen, or canned – you can put it in a frying pan with your favorite spices, bake it, or add it to a pasta dish.
- Berries – berries have the highest concentration of antioxidants of just about any food. These disease-fighting nutrients are very important for maintaining a healthy immune system.
- How to eat it – over yogurt, in a smoothie, or just by themselves – they taste like the earth’s candy!
California Chef is here for you, cooking up nutrient-packed meals and delivering them to your doorstep. We are pros at incorporating superfoods into our recipes. Call today to check it out!